RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – There are an increasing number of indicators showing signs the labor market is slowing, as job openings in the Triangle have decreased. For the first time all year, the number of job openings at the beginning of a month is lower than openings at the beginning of the year on one-quarter of the 20 job boards tracked by WRAL TechWire.
But note this: job openings have dropped since last week on 16 of the 20 job boards tracked by WRAL TechWire for this weekly report.
Further, last week, the WRAL TechWire Jobs Report showed that there remains volatility in the labor markets of the Triangle. And that volatility continues, based on the latest data from last week’s labor market that was analyzed by WRAL TechWire.
While five indicators of job openings have fallen in the past week compared to the start of the year, the other 15 job boards tracked by WRAL TechWire still show year-to-date gains in job openings.
Still, some remain bullish on the region’s labor market, even as there have been an increasing number of layoffs in recent weeks.
“The Triangle, I am not seeing any slowdown whatsoever, even with a possible pending recession,” said Christiaan Heijmen, managing partner of Focus Search Partners, a Vaco company, in an interview with WRAL TechWire on Monday. “Every month, I get more inquiries than the month before—every month.”
Note: WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. Here’s more from WRAL TechWire on the latest changes in the labor markets in our local economy. Below, we’ve gathered the latest upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings. Here’s what’s new since the last WRAL TechWire Jobs Report.
Job openings in the Triangle from national job boards
Every week, we track the total number of Triangle-area positions posted on major job websites. Here is the latest data, as of 12 PM on Monday, July 11. We use the shorthand abbreviation “MoM” for month-over-month and “YTD” for year-to-date in our report.
- Wake County: 42,346 (⇓-7,003 MoM; ⇓-185 YTD)
- Raleigh: 34,886 (⇑+5,338 MoM; ⇑+10,942 YTD)
- Durham County: 10,809 (⇓-708 MoM; ⇑+1,055 YTD)
- Johnston County: 2,463 (⇓-552 MoM; ⇓-766 YTD)*
- Wake County: 42,346 (⇓-7,003 MoM; ⇓-185 YTD)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 18,412 (⇑+65 MoM; ⇑+3,041 YTD)
- Durham: 17,800 (⇓-401 MoM; ⇑+2,620 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 17,519 (⇓-433 MoM; ⇑+2,530 YTD)
- Glassdoor: 41,539 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (⇑+928 MoM; ⇑+4,046 YTD)
- Indeed (Editor’s Note***: Until July 2022, we tracked using a location filter of up to 5-miles; we now track using exact location, and will resume month-over-month tracking in August):
- Raleigh: 23,626
- Durham: 13,468
- Chapel Hill: 4,797
- Johnston County: 3,650
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- Raleigh: 25,664 (⇓-3,975 MoM;⇓-1,201 YTD)
- Durham: 12,869 (⇑+6 MoM; (⇓-1,618 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 3,172 (⇑+400 MoM; ⇑+742 YTD)
- Johnston County: 15,397**
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- Raleigh: 40,784 (⇓-2,564 MoM; ⇑+7,562 YTD)
- Durham: 17,539 (⇓-730 MoM; ⇑+2,681 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 953 (⇑+11 MoM; ⇓-2,676 YTD)
- Johnston County: 396 (⇓-16 MoM; ⇑+17 YTD)*
Editor’s Notes: The month-over-month totals are compared to our June 27 report, and the year-to-date totals compare to our Jan. 3 report. ***We’ve made some changes in methodology as of July 2022 in how we’re tracking jobs posted to Indeed, and our month-over-month analysis of Indeed data will resume in next week’s report. **We’ve also updated the methodology for which we track job openings on LinkedIn based anywhere in Johnston County, as of July 2022. *And, the year-to-date data for Johnston County tracks from Jan. 31, 2022, when we began to track job postings in the county for the WRAL TechWire Jobs Report.
Startup Jobs Report
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup positions at these sites:
- SimplyHired (199 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park, ⇓-51 MoM; ⇓-36 YTD)
- LinkedIn (8,728 job openings that include “startup” in the Triangle region, ⇓-4,363 MoM; ⇑+661 YTD),
- Indeed (269 startup jobs in/near RTP, ⇓-67 MoM; ⇓-54 YTD)
- AngelList (68 job openings in Raleigh,18 in Durham and 127 total across North Carolina)
- Durham-based job site InHerSight also lists jobs at local startups among other job postings (91 this week this week within 25 miles of Raleigh, down from 159 last week)
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order, below.
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Monday, the AMA Triangle job board shows 113 roles within 25 miles of Raleigh and another 82 roles, some of which could be overlapping, within 25 miles of Durham.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground (Editor’s Note: American Underground is owned by Capitol Broadcasting Company, the parent company of WRAL TechWire) regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Monday, the site shows 148 jobs at 55 companies, including new openings:
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000. Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, and Pfizer in Sanford.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site lists 1,627 job openings overall at 30 companies as of Monday afternoon, including new postings for dozens and dozens of jobs at Google, a few at North Carolina Central University, and openings at Truist.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. The organization recently updated the user interface with a fresh design. Job seekers can filter their search results by position title, job function and location. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
The site lists 229 openings as of Monday afternoon, up from 209 listings last Monday and 189 the week before, though is down 22 postings from a month ago. Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space that is celebrating its 10th anniversary soon, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size, industry and job function. The site currently lists 58 positions as of Monday afternoon, up from 55 positions in last week’s report, including new additions at Pryon, Pendo, Publicinput, and MedPharm.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards.
As of Monday afternoon, the site shows 3,226 openings, down from 3,276 openings last week.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program launched a job board on its website earlier this year, with 9,021 active openings as of Monday afternoon. That’s down from last week when there were 9,021 openings posted, and down from 9,710 openings the prior week. This job board is showing 1,532 fewer postings now than a month ago. Still, of the current job openings, 7,023 are technology jobs, 960 are advanced manufacturing positions, 288 are in cleantech and 433 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter today for more details on the latest openings.
Job Openings in the Triangle at Top Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- Amazon: 115 job openings in the Triangle, though some roles could be done remotely
- Bandwidth: 39 job openings in Raleigh, according to the company’s career page
- Fidelity Investments: 686 job openings in Durham, according to the company’s career page
- IBM: 3 job openings in RTP, according to the company’s career page, which is down from 24 openings two weeks ago. IBM reported quarterly earnings in July.
- Kyndryl: 120 job openings in RTP, according to the company’s career page
- Lenovo: 341 job openings in Morrisville, according to the company’s career page
- MetLife: 142 job openings in Cary, according to the company’s career page
- Microsoft: 53 job openings in Raleigh, according to the company’s career page
- Pendo: 6 job openings in Raleigh, according to the company’s career page
- Red Hat: 9 job openings in Raleigh, according to the company’s career page, down from 31 openings last week
- RTI International: 132 job openings in Durham, according to the company’s career page
- SAS: 155 job openings in Cary, according to the company’s career page
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment.
- BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair: Aug. 3, 3–6 p.m. (online) The North Carolina BioNetwork will host an online career fair for process technicians seeking jobs at biotechnology, pharmaceutical or chemical manufacturing companies. More information here.
- NC State Engineering Career Fair: Sept. 20–21 (in-person and virtual) In this hybrid career fair, NC State engineering students can meet with employers seeking talent across a range of industries. This is a two-day event: The first day will be held in person, while the second will take place virtually via Career Fair Plus. More details here.
- NC TECH Virtual Jobs Fair: Oct. 7 (online). The NC TECH Job Expo is primarily focused on candidates seeking tech-related jobs/careers and internships. Whether actively seeking a job or interested in learning more about the participating employers.
Other resources to find job openings in the Triangle
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
For Johnston County job seekers: The recently launched JoCo Careers website helps job seekers find companies hiring in Johnston County. (More TechWire coverage here.) https://wraltechwire.com/2022/01/10/johnston-county-launches-new-jobs-platform-to-connect-workers-to-local-jobs/
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: